Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I can't believe blogger is actually letting me post! Anytime I have actually wanted to post in the last month, I haven't been able to.

So I'm in Albuquerque now, living with Daniel, my brother, in a house on the west side of town, kind of near Rio Rancho. You know, not at all near campus. But its actually not bad. Only takes 15 minutes to get to campus if traffic is moving along, which is always is at 9 or 10 in the morning. Its nice having an actual house, instead of a dorm. I guess it levels itself out. When I go into everyone's dorms, its cool because its like they are living with dozens and dozens of people. Its very easy to be social, I would imagine. They are living AT college, instead of just being students there. I'm the only one among the St Mike's crowd that is not living on campus or near campus. Its ok though. Like I said, I have an actual house. With my own bathroom. And a big room where I can be naked and not have to worry about my roommate walking in on me. And I like my classes. Only two of my teachers are insane, and I actually really enjoy one of my classes -- my "ancient legacy" class. Its honors, which is cool, and its all discussion about old books like Giglamesh and The Iliad. And these kids can ACTUALLY discuss, which is really nice! It makes 2 and a half hours every week go by really quickly. Its such a weird feeling, ENJOYING a class. I could get used to this.

The weird thing is, I don't feel like a "college" kid. It doesn't seem like I have moved out of my house, even though I have packed up my entire room and haven't been back for almost 2 weeks. It seems like I am just on a vacation, and taking some classes while I'm at it. Like some freakish summer learning program. I have no rules. No parents. No curfew, no nothing! So much freedom. Too much, infact. I'm already broke. Well, I was for a day, till I deposited a check. Now I'm just close to being broke. I can't believe how much money I spent this summer. But its ok actually, because it was such an awesome summer. There's no way I will every forget it. Partying in the woods, peeing in front yards, sneaking into hot tubs and swimming pools downtown, climbing roofs and getting fiberglass splinters, going to concerts, getting addicted to ebay, and actually feeling good about myself. It was an incredible summer, I would have to say.

And of course I can't leave out the fact that last monday was the Dave Matthews Band concert. It was so fun, I can't even describe it. Fun doesn't even begin it! Paula, Kat, Harlie, Becca, Kat, Jess, and little Lorn all came. Paula and I had the best seats, about 10 rows back, a little to the left. Every year I get closer and closer to my band. All the other kids were chillin in the lawn. "You know the good thing about the lawn? Its kinda hard with all these chairs in the way up here, but in the lawn, you can bump uglies." -Dave
I got amazing pictures and recordings with my uber cool camera, and even got "tapped" by a security guard, since we weren't supposed to have cameras (like that ever stops me, hah!), and he obviously saw me repetedly holding my camera above the crowd for long periods of time, recording the band. He scared the shit out of me....but that doesn't mean I stopped doing it. Paula had my back the entire time too. Hah! Take that stupid security guard. You don't scare me! We visited Ryan at the Peak van and he gave us free stuff, and he even recognized Jess and I, which was very cool, since to me Ryan is a celebrity thats my buddy, just like Howie and Johnny Rzeznik! I had SO much fun during the show, holy shit. AWESOME set list, even though they didn't bust out #41. Our section of the audience was all the Warehouse members, and we sat next to this kick ass couple that I got to talk about the band to before the show, they were very cool, and kept offering us cigarettes. Anywho, the entire section was chanting "41" between most of the songs, which was very exciting! Its ok that they didn't play it, cuz they made up for it by playing Crush and Tim-fucking-Reynolds came out for the last songs!!! It was insane. Timmy hadn't played with the full band since 1998. I'm sure he was there since he lives in Santa Fe. It was awesome, he got very into Help Myself, and played with his teeth. Very impressive!

Setlist:

The Stone
Fool To Think
I Did It
Crush
Hello Again
Sugar Will
Grey Street
When The World Ends
Crazy-Easy
One Sweet World
Joy Ride
Ants Marching
Typical Situation
Help Myself*
Crash Into Me*
Dancing Nancies*
Too Much*@
Warehouse

*Tim Reynolds joined on these songs
@ It was very cool, in Too Much, Dave, according to dmbalmanac.com, "extended scat outro with Lil' John's "YEAH! WHAT? YEAH! OK!" interpolation." When I listened back to this on my camera, I thought He might be doing Lil' John, but I also thought my brain was just making up shit, but it turns out he really was! How cool!

Hope everyone got their DMB fill there!

So I've noticed I am desperately clinging onto highschool. I'm still hanging out with Kat, Jess, Becca, Brian, David, and Bryan. I really miss Irena. I'm gonna miss Paula the most. Why the hell are these kids moving so fucking far away! Its too difficult! Now I realize that I really really loved highschool. Things were so fun, I got to see everyone everyday. Its hard now. Different schedules, different cities, different land masses. Paula, Harlie, and Kassi are still in Santa Fe, but its hard to find the time to travel just one hour. Not to mention gas money is low.

I really want to meet new people, and make new friends, but its hard when my old friends are still around and so easy to get ahold of. I met one guy, Nick, and loborientation, and we have math together, and we exchanged numbers, but thats all I've done so far. And no romantic posibility, as he is definitely quite gay. But he's an awesome kid.

I miss home.

Kat, Brian, and I are most likely heading up to Denver this weekend, to catch Howie! He's playing not only with Matt Nathanson and OAR again, but with Guster too! I love Guster! I saw them 2 years ago with John Mayer, and absolutely loved them! They are very happy music, so I'm very excited. I really shouldn't go though, since I don't have much money. But I want to go really really bad. Its as exciting as Dave! Howie AND Guster...I will pop. Maybe I'll ask Howie to be my boyfriend, since I already refer to him as that. And Brian and I are gonna have him record our voice mails, so he says "Hey, this is Howie Day, leave Katie/Brian a message." and for me he could also say something like "Katie is the most beautiful girl in the world and we are getting married and are gonna have one thousand little Howie-haired babies." ...or something like that.

Phew.

No comments: